Wednesday 6 January 2010

"out for the fun of it?"




Last night saw heavy heavy snowfall in Hampshire UK. Many were forced to abandon their cars and walk home whilst others were trapped in their cars on the motorway for up to 10 hours.  We knew the snow was coming ... we could see a big red alert circle on the weather map - just above our house!  What's more we knew what time it was coming - it was forecast for 5 o clock  .... it arrived at 5 o clock too! It just dumped!  This is so unusual for the south of england  - both the snowfall and the accuracy of the weather!

Dh made it back from work by 8 o'clock - he left work, just a 15 minute drive away at 6. He did remarkably well but then he drives a Landrover Defender!  He arrived home feeling sooo very pleased he had a car that could drive in snow that he forced me to go out with him for a snowy drive ... sheer madness considering state of the roads and the snarl up of all major and minor traffic routes.  But like intrepid explorers we donned hats and mittens and ventured out. Kids in tow.

Town and countryside was quiet ... no traffic - nothing could get through! It was white and peaceful and really quiet beautiful but then we had transport that moved efficiently through the snow. We were warm and cozy inside our little aluminum can on wheels.  I felt so very very guilty ..... until we passed another Landrover driver who stopped .. wound down his window and said ..

" out for the fun of it then?"



p.s I forgot to mention .. I took my camera along with me and snapped like a pro -- I sent this one to the BBC where it made it onto the main webpage and its since been syndicated around the world!  How cool is that!



11 comments:

BilboWaggins said...

GREAT photo, it deserves to have been widely circulated.

You're lucky not to have had to deal with ice as well, I spent much of yesterday watching 4WD's, including many Landies, either sliding down the hill in front of our house or completely failing to get up it.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

That is so cool! Please post more of your pictures. I know from our UK office what an "event" a major snow is.

I nominated you for an award today! http://www.megacrafty.com/2010/01/lemonade-stand.html

Shevvy said...

Funny post and great pic - but you are mad!

I'm in south london and it hasn't stopped all day. No side of gritters either... bah grumble grumble! ;)

Trudi said...

I didn't stop snowing all day yesterday here in the 'not quite the north' but I was relived it was melting this morning when I had to go to work! Great pic, and I hope you get some royalties for it too! And an Award! :)

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

I am in Australia, I did used to live in the U.K. and that is an amazing photo. Well done for taking it, but i don't envy having to be in it!

Mountainrose said...

Wow. We use to Adventure out like that, when we lived in the Southern USA. DH Grew up and learned to drive in Upper Northern states so Snow is no problem for him. We would gather up kids and take a ride, then find a nice hill for them to slid down a few times each. Love the picture, it really shows how snargly traffic can be in winter time, any where.

A Time for Stitching said...

That's a great photo. I'm not surprised it was snapped up (he he). You are mad to go out in it though. I stayed home from work yesterday and didn't venture out all day.

Janine said...

Fantastic photo!! I love the snow but would not even consider venturing out to the roads without that Land Rover. Thanks for posting your photo---very nice.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous photo! Though the red glow makes it look a little like a dust storm. Our daytime temperature is expected to reach over the century for three days, so dust storms are more likely down under!
I have just found your blog and have added links to your recent 'clean machine' posts to my Links to Lessons' page ..... hope you don't mind.
Judy B

Diane J. Evans said...

Great photo!! It deserves publication and recognition! Gotta love winter . . .

Diane

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Great photo...I can see why the BBC liked it...it summed things up perfectly!

Keep warm and safe! The next round of snow is heading in over the weekend.